Monday, November 21, 2011

A simple side...

You are probably busy preparing your Thanksgiving menu. I know I am. Either you are hosting or attending, but most likely (if you are reading this!!) you are going to be cooking one thing or lots of things. Your table will be full of fabulous side dishes like stuffing (see my cornbread/leek recipe!), sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, or green bean casserole. Here's the story-hubby and I both HATE mushrooms. But, don't tell our kids, because somehow Mimi has managed to get them to try them and eat them and love them! So all those green bean casseroles with saucy looking mushrooms and mushy looking fried things on top just never got an invitation to our table. So I have found many other yummy ways to invite our green friends-sauteed green beans, broccoli kugel, grilled zucchini, stir-fried asparagus, should I go on? A newer favorite of mine is this brussel sprouts recipe, made awesome with agave and soy and balsamic. I originally found it on a vegan blog called Almond and Agave, then of course I tweaked it until it felt just right! Again, super easy, healthy and of course, delish! This will be my green side dish this year, let me know if it gets an invitation to yours too!

INGREDIENTS


40 brussel sprouts (the recipe isn't a science-this is about 2 lbs, or 2 bags from Trader Joe's-can be doubled or tripled!)
1/4 cup agave nectar, either light or dark
2 tablespoons EVOO
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1-2 teaspoons of freshly ground pepper
canola or vegetable oil for sauteing

DIRECTIONS

  • Gently trim and halve the brussel sprouts, making sure the root end stays intact (the big ones I often quarter and the smaller ones can be left whole)
  • Whisk together the agave, EVOO, vinegar, soy sauce and pepper
  • Add sprouts and toss to coat
  • Marinate in fridge or on counter for at least 15 minutes or up to an hour
  • Heat a large pan or electric skillet to medium high and add canola oil
  • Place the brussel sprouts face down in the hot oil for a few minutes, then flip and toss so sprouts are browned on both sides, about 5-10 minutes more
  • Drizzle with any extra marinade and finish sauteing. I often make some extra marinade and add toward the end.
  • These are delicious!!
Eat and enjoy! Happy Turkey Day!




No comments:

Post a Comment