Saturday, September 10, 2011

Dressing on the side, please

If you are anything like me, most of your salad-ordering since age 13 has ended with "Dressing on the side, please."  After so many years of that, I learned that I actually love salad and don't really need the dressing (exceptions of course; Amy's Grapefruit Salad from Stanley's, fresh table side Caesar dressing at El Cab or the Feast from the East Chinese Chicken Salad dressing-I am sure you have your own exceptions too)! Since not everyone in my house feels the same way about dressing on the side, I started making my own salad dressing years ago that adds delicious flavor to the salad without being too oily, too creamy, too heavy or too much!

The recipe below makes a good amount to dress a salad for 3-4 (1 big head of lettuce with assorted veggies), but you can easily double or triple it for either a bigger salad or to save in the fridge for another day. The dressing keeps about a week, but it won't last that long!

1 lemon's worth of fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper, more or less to taste depending on your preference


  • Combine all the ingredients and blend well with a whisk or in a dressing emulsifier (such as the Pampered Chef one which I love! http://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=21&words=salad%20dressing
  • Can either be used right away or stored in the fridge until ready to use, up to one week. Toss with salad just before serving.


Hope this helps you leave your dressing-on-the side-days behind just a bit! I often make lunch for a playdate and am always complimented when I make salad dressed like this-now it's your turn!  Fresh, healthy ingredients are important for our bodies and appreciated by our souls.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment