Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Quinoa Salad, aka "I'm staying home for lunch today" salad!

Do you ever have those days where you want to grab something quick and healthy for lunch, yet there is nothing ready to go in your fridge? Well, welcome to my life, before I discovered this salad, that is! I try most days to save money by packing a lunchbox as though I was going off to school, or scrounging on leftovers that I  find in the refrigerator. When I come upon a big glass container of this, I get a little too excited (and I must tell you that my girls ask for this by name-"our favorite salad"! 

The best part about this salad is that while I am going to share my exact recipe with you, it is similar to those "everything but the kitchen sink" dishes you often see-you choose your favorite veggies, whatever you want to use up in your fridge, the can of beans you have left in your pantry-you get the idea!! This recipe is very forgiving and only you will know how you like it best-but I promise your quinoa will come out perfect (don't be scared!) and you will enjoy packing this for work, sending it to school with your kids, or digging into the container straight out of your fridge while running your groceries home, taking a quick shower and heading out to carpool on your way to soccer practice.  Oh wait, your days may not be like that-but no matter what you will love this!

2 cups quinoa (I like http://www.bobsredmill.com/organic-quinoa-grain.html, which I buy at Costco)
2 1/2 cups liquid, water or chicken broth (I prefer broth)
1 English cucumber or 4 Persian cucumbers
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
1 orange bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped scallions, whites and greens
1 can black beans, drained
Juice from 1 lemon
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
kosher salt & pepper to taste

  • Combine the quinoa and broth (or water) in a heavy saucepan and cook covered for between 30-35 minutes on medium heat. Remove from heat and let sit covered for an additional 5 minutes-fluff with a fork and set aside to cool.
NOTE: If you are short on time, you can use the quick-cook method. Combine 2 cups quinoa with 3 1/2 cups cold water or broth.  Bring the quinoa to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and fluff with fork.
  • While your quinoa is cooking and cooling, chop all of your veggies into a small dice and combine in a strainer. Sprinkle with a generous palmful of kosher salt and set aside in your sink. After your quinoa is done cooking, rinse the colander with water for a good minute-what this does is helps to preserve the veggies and give them flavor without keeping the added salt-good trick, eh??
  • Combine rinsed and drained veggies with cooled and fluffed quinoa
  • Add the juice of 1 lemon and the olive oil
  • Add the drained black beans
  • Mix well with fork and add salt and pepper to taste
Remember, you may like more oil or lemon or salt then I do, so play around until you get it right-the quinoa salad needs to be your perfect lunch, not mine!! You can add any veggies EXCEPT tomatoes-they add too much liquid and will make the salad soggy. Sometimes I add jicama, carrots, red onion or snow peas-choose anything that your family likes because it will become a favorite quick lunch or room temp side dish for dinner. The next time you see my girls eating with plastic forks out of red Costco cups, you won't have to wonder anymore what they could possibly be shoveling in so fast.

Enjoy!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment