Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Bread Machine Challah Dough

As I sit and wait for challot numbers 5 & 6 to be done in the oven, I figured I would finally take the time to share my bread machine challah dough recipe with those that always ask for it! I have previously posted a fabulous recipe for challah which is made in an electric mixer, but this is my weekly go to because it literally takes 87.45 to put the ingredients into the bread machine, walk away for 90 minutes while it mixes/kneads/rises. Then I divide it in half, braid it, and let it rise again for another hour, or so. Then egg it, sprinkle it and bake it. Voila-fresh challah!!! This recipe makes 2 generous braids, or in today's case, rounds. Round challah is traditional for Rosh Hashana, and I hope that my challahs come out sweet and yummy to help us bring in a sweet and healthy Jewish New Year!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 cup water, room temperature
  • 7 tablespoons unsalted butter (best at room temp), cut in pieces OR just shy of 1/2 cup of canola or grapeseed oil (if making pareve I highly suggest the oil vs. margarine); taste difference between butter and oil is minimal
  • 2 large eggs, room temp (not essential but preferable)
  • 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 3 3/4 cup unbleached or bread flour
  • 2 teaspoons yeast (active dry, instant or bread machine-I almost always use bread machine)
DIRECTIONS:
  • Put all of the ingredients in the ORDER listed above in the bread machine pan 
  • Put the pan in the bread machine
  • Set on dough cycle (I use a Cuisinart bread machine so it's setting 8, but this will of course vary per machine)
  • After the cycle is completed (90 minutes), remove the dough and place on a lightly floured surface
  • Cut in half, then braid each half
  • Place on a parchment covered cookie sheet, or in tinfoil cake pans to make round (sprayed with cooking spray)
  • Cover with a clean dry dishtowel and let rise another 60 minutes or so
  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
  • Brush with egg wash (egg beaten with a few drops of water)
  • I usually do 1 with sesame seeds and 1 with rainbow sprinkles which is mandatory in my house and with our Shabbat guests (other toppings could be cinnamon sugar, everything mix, poppy seeds, or mini chocolate chips)
  • Bake for 15 minutes then rotate the trays for another 10-15 minutes, watching the top so it doesn't burn (sometimes I need to cover them with foil or lower the temp to 325 if browning too quickly-it's trial and error depending on your oven)
  • Remove and let cool on cookie sheet/pan for 5 minutes then place on cooling rack
  • Best eaten fresh, but if made day before or earlier in the day just lightly wrap in foil to reheat
  • Can be frozen if wrapped well in foil and a freezer bag, then defrosted on counter and reheated as above
Eat and enjoy!!




No comments:

Post a Comment