Thursday, January 22, 2015

Weeknight mushroom barley soup

My kids love soup-all kinds! Black bean, split pea, lentil, chicken noodle, broccoli cheddar-we're definitely a SOUPER family! Mushroom barley is one of their favorites, and as much as I hate mushrooms themselves, I love the soup too! There are some great recipes (my favorite is at www.toriavey.com) out there, but this is the only one I've made in under 30 minutes that has that slow-cooked, homemade deliciousness! I guess it helped that I only used what I had in the house, but it's flexible so you could add meat or other veggies if you choose. This souped up quickly in between homework, fighting and chasing a toddler. If I could do it, so can you!! Try this yummy soup with a big salad, a sandwich or some crusty bread and voila, dinner!!!

INGREDIENTS
1 onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 box white button mushrooms, stems removed, chopped
2 cloves garlic (I use Dorot frozen cubes from TJ, so 2 cubes)
2 boxes chicken/vegetable/beef broth + 2 cups or 10 cups liquid of your choice (if you use water you will need to season it more)
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tbsp. olive oil 
1 package 10 minute barley from TJ ( or regular barley but will take longer to cook!)

DIRECTIONS

Sauté the onion, carrots and mushrooms in the olive oil about 10 minutes until soft and onions translucent

Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes m

Add liquid and bring to boil

Add barley and salt, reduce to simmer and cook covered 15 minutes. 

Eat and enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment